The TLRC is available to support UCI researchers with experimental design and statistical support. We are skilled in all aspects of educational research and offer a broad range of services including:
- Background literature reviews
- Personal experience with teaching and active learning in many environments (online and face-to-face)
- Experimental design
- IRB submission support
- Statistical development
- Power analysis
- Data organization
- Data management
- Statistical analysis
- Grant support for Educational Plans, Broader Impacts
- Evaluation Support for New and Existing Grants
- Evaluation plans
- Logic Models
- Formative Evaluations
- Summative Evaluations
- Evaluation plans
- Project management
We encourage you to schedule an initial meeting with us early in your planning. Initial consultations are free, and we provide extended support to senate faculty who are interested in long-term education research and improving their teaching.
Who Can Use Our services?
Our services are available to faculty of University of California, Irvine and to industry, businesses, and individuals outside of the university.
For University clients:
- The TLRC is a nonprofit research center. We have established a recharge fund as the simplest method of accounting for our services.
- To add us as assessors or researchers to your grant submission, we can be listed at $80 / hour, or as a percent of annual effort, per your preference.
- To collaborate on individual projects, the initial consultation is free. Subsequent visits and analyses will be billed at an hourly recharge rate. By mutual agreement, alternative forms of compensation may take the place of hourly billing.
For Business clients:
- Initial consultation and subsequent analyses will both be billed at an hourly rate. Current rates may be obtained by calling the current director.
About our staff:
Faculty Director Mark Warschauer is a Professor of Education and Informatics at the University of California, Irvine. He is director of the Digital Learning Lab at UC Irvine where he works on a range of research projects related to digital media in education at all student levels. In higher education, his team is looking at instructional practices in STEM lecture courses, the impact of virtual learning on student achievement, the learning processes and outcomes in Massively Open Online Courses (MOOCs), and the impact on students of multi-tasking with digital media. The DLL team is also exploring new approaches to data mining, machine learning, and learning analytics to analyze the learning and educational data that result from use of new digital tools.
Director Adrienne Williams has a PhD in biology, and conducted biology education research full-time as Co-Director of the HHMI-UCI Professor Program. She has helped develop the framework of the Teaching and Learning Research Center, and coordinates its projects. Her primary interests are supporting faculty in active learning, implementation of awarded grants to improve teaching, teaching graduate students to conduct education research, and creating a new Learning Assistant model on campus.
Project Scientist Kameryn Denaro has a PhD in computational statistics. Since joining the TLRC she has made successful access to institutional data her primary work. She is an active researcher with broad interests in the areas of quantile regression, linear quantile mixed effects models, data mining, learning analytics, and statistical theory and methods. Her primary interests are collaborating with faculty to make evidence based decisions to improve teaching and learning here at UCI and beyond.
Postdoctoral Scholar Christian Fischer has a PhD in Learning Technologies. His research interests are in the intersections of science education, teacher education, and learning technologies. Christian works on interdisciplinary research projects that empirically explore and evaluate ways to best support science learning and teaching. His primary interests are to apply methodological traditions such as survey research and measurement, experimental and quasi-experimental designs for generalized causal inference, learning analytics, and educational data mining.
To learn more, contact the Director, Adrienne Williams, at email@example.com